Friday, April 15, 2011

Rome day one

Am absolutely exhausted but had to write and tell you I had the best day today. It was our first full day in Rome. I cant believe this city. It is so beautiful. You cant walk 10 metres without seeing something beautiful or ancient or both. And boy did we walk.
After breakfast we walked to the colosseum and then we spent 2 hours walking around the colosseum with half of Rome ( or Europe ). This week there is free entry to lots of the ancient places so Romans are also taking advantage of the prices . Our guide, A little ancient woman herself but very knowlegable showed is around before taking us the the Roman forum.

 Ancient and new Rome
  Now THAT is an amazing place. Every angle you look there is something more to see. They were great engineers and it was quite amazing to think that we were standing on stones that Julius Caesar had stood on.Mind you, the stones are a challenge. No path in Rome is flat and I think my feet are threatening to divorce me.
That was the end of our formal day and we had the afternoon free. Maria , one of the teachers and I, decided not to go to circus maximus and instead wandered towards Piazza Navarone. Up a little alley and we found a ristorante full of locals with wonderful looking food on the plates. We settled down for lunch and a carafe of house white. I had Spaghetti Vongole. The best I have ever had and now I understand why it was one of my father's favourote dishes.

Maria had braised lamb and potatoes. ( she is greek after all ). It was the bast meal of the trip so far. Michale and Gina ( another teacher ) cought up with us and they went to another plave in the [iazza for pizza and gelato. There is a gelateria at every corner here. Emily and Carina, they even had nutella flavour.
My brother advised me to follow my nose down little alleys and it was great advie. We found a tiny church of Mary Magdalene. OMG so gorgeous. Just behind a doorway really. No free standing grand buiding.
Inside the church
Just across the road was a shop with an intriguing sign. Paperie. Well I had to go in! It was a little satellite shop from one on Florence and they made their own marbled paper. ( at 18 euro a sheet. ) I bought some gorgeous printed papers and 2 sheets of hand made paper to die for. He packaged them up into a roll and I look forward to bringing them home even though they dont fit in my suitcase.


Further down that lley we foud the Pantheon. Very crowded but very beautiful. Actually awe inspiring.

Then we had to high tail it back to the hotel to meet the others and head to Mass at the Basilica Santa Maria Maggiore. then off to explore again. this time to the spanish steps. Glad I saw them . Dont need to again.

We walked down Via Borgognogna which would give Rodea drive a run for it's money. thenk goodness the shops were all closed. Prada, Vuitton, Versace, Ferrari, Bulgari, Ferragamo. Truly beautiful cltohers and shoes. By then we were running out of steam, Grabbed a bite which was disappointing and found a taxi home.
Tomorrow we have the vatican all day.

If today is anything to go by, this holiday is going to be great.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Martina, thanks for sharing those magnificent photos of your journey, I look forward to seeing more.
    Take care of you my friend.
    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome photos Martina! I look forward to reading more of your journey and your photos. Hugs to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Marty,

    What a fantastic holiday you have fun girl and look after those feet. LOL Keep sending more pictures.

    Hugs Eliza

    ReplyDelete